April 27, 2024, 04:25:58 pm

Author Topic: Free BNC Server  (Read 1399 times)

Offline Viper

• FGRPG Manager
    • View Profile
Free BNC Server
« on: July 26, 2013, 02:57:55 pm »
I wasn't sure where to put this so any admin feel free to move it to a relevant location.

With permission from Wataki I have set up a small BNC server exclusive for EGC. This is basically a server which keeps your IRC nickname connected when you are disconnected which allows your nickname to be permanently connected to IRC. There are a few advantages:

1) Permanent and eerie presence in IRC regardless of connection status.
2) Channels will be logged even when offline and queries are played back to you on connection
3) No need to rejoin channels or constantly identify with NickServ
4) Prevents your NickServ account expiring after 21 days of inactivity (Good for when going away)
5) If your connection drops you won't rejoin with a different nick automatically and get banned from restricted channels which can be a pain in the ass.

Once set up with an account you must simply just connect to the server on mIRC with the following command:
/server harry.kire.net:9001 <username>:<password>
I will give you your username and password when the BNC is created. You can then change it with the webadmin at harry.kire.net:9001. You can login with your BNC username and password
You can also set your name to change when you disconnect to make people aware that you are not connected. Your name will automatically change back when you reconnect. Use /msg *status loadmod awaynick and then /msg *awaynick set <your away name>.

If you are told by the server that you have the wrong password. Make your you are typing everything correctly and that the BNC is not experiencing problems.

If all else fails and you can't connect then just use /server irc.enigmaticgc.com to directly connect to IRC. If you want your BNC cancelled just tell me or if im not around you can kill the BNC by using /ns ghost <name> <nickserv pass>. This will allow you to get your username back.

Act fast because im going in a few days and then i wont be active very much. I will be back in full flow in later August though so you can still get one eventually. Join #BNC, post here or query me to get one or for help.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 07:25:26 pm by Viper »