March 29, 2024, 05:00:33 am

Author Topic: New PC  (Read 7743 times)

Offline Enigma

• Chairman Of The Board
    • View Profile
New PC
« on: June 25, 2012, 11:14:11 pm »
Should be ordering a new PC (Finally!) in a few days. Here's the what I'm getting with it, let me know what you guys think/recommendations  ;D

Computer Case    NZXT Phantom Enthusiast - Red   
   CPU                    Intel Core i7 3930K Unlocked (6 x 3.2 GHZ)   
   CPU Heatsink    AKASA Nero 3 Premier   
   Memory            Corsair 16GB PC3-12800 1600 MHz (4x4GB) - Lifetime Warranty (DDR3)   
   Graphics Card    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 - 1280 MB - (KFA2) (PCI-E) - (Free MAJESTY 2 Game)   
   Motherboard    Asus Rampage IV Formula Battlefield 3 (Intel X79)   
   Sound Card            Motherboard Integrated HD Sound   
   Networking            Edimax Wireless LAN 300Mbps (PCI-E)   
   Power Supply    Cooler Master 750W PSU - Low Noise   
   CPU Compound    Standard CPU Compound Supplied With Heatsink   
   Hard Drive #1    3 TB (3000 GB) SATA-III HDD 7200 RPM 64MB   
   Optical Drive #1    LG 10x Blu-Ray Re-Writer/Reader & 16x Dual Layer DVD +/-RW Writer - Black 
   Card Reader    Internal Card Reader 50-in-1   
   Office Software    FREE - Microsoft Office 2010 Starter (Limited Functionality Word & Excel)   
   Backup Software    FREE - Windows 7 Backup   
   Games            FREE - June Game Bundle #1 (Included/Not Installed)
   DVD Software       FREE - CyberLink PowerDVD 9   
   Burning Software    FREE - Nero V10 Essentials Suite 2   
   Monitor             27" BenQ GL2750HM LED LCD, 1920x1080, 5ms, 300cd/m?, 1200:1, Speakers   
   Keyboard            Logitech K120 Keyboard Slim with Full Keys - Spill Resistant - (USB)   
   Mouse Mat            Razer Goliathus Omega Speed Pad Fragged - 270mm x 215mm x 4mm   
   Speakers            Logitech Z506 5.1 Speakers with 3D Surround   
   Free Gift            FREE - 4 Port Surge Protection   
   Monitor Cables    FREE - DVI Port to HDMI Monitor Port Adapter

Shadow

Re: New PC
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 10:25:06 pm »
Fucking hell that processor could power Ireland - bet you're looking forward to having that up and running!

Offline Enigma

• Chairman Of The Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 10:44:47 pm »
Unfortunately, I had to downgrade the processor. Price was way too high. :(
Getting the Intel I7 3820 now. Still a pretty epic CPU though.

Stevo127

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 02:37:12 pm »
How much that cost you

Offline Enigma

• Chairman Of The Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 05:09:21 pm »
This is the one I ended up going with, it cost ?1,784.28, Stephen.

Computer Case   NZXT Phantom Enthusiast - Red   
 CPU                   Intel Core i7 3820 (4 x 3.6 GHZ)   
 CPU Heatsink   AKASA Nero 3 Premier   
 Memory           Corsair 16GB PC3-12800 1600 MHz (4x4GB) - Lifetime Warranty (DDR3)   
 Graphics Card   NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 - 1280 MB - (PALIT) (PCI-E) - (LIMITED TIME LOW PRICE)   
 Motherboard   Asus P9X79 WS (Intel X79)   
 Networking           Edimax Wireless LAN 300Mbps (USB)   
 Power Supply   Cooler Master 750W PSU - Low Noise   
 Hard Drive #1   3 TB (3000 GB) SATA-III HDD 7200 RPM 64MB   
 Optical Drive    LG (BH10LS38) 10x Blu-Ray Re-Writer/Reader & 16x Dual Layer DVD +/-RW Writer -    
 Floppy Drive   Floppy Disk Drive 1.44 MB - Black   
 Card Reader   Internal Card Reader 50-in-1   
 Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64 BIT (Genuine DVD & COA Included)   
 Office Software   FREE - Microsoft Office 2010 Starter (Limited Functionality Word & Excel)   
 Backup Software   Restore DVD & Original Operating System DVD   
 Games   FREE - June Game Bundle #1 (Included/Not Installed) (FREE FOR ORDERS PLACED BEFORE
 DVD Playback Software   FREE - CyberLink PowerDVD 9   
 DVD/CD Burning Software   FREE - Nero V10 Essentials Suite 2   
 Monitor #1   24" Viewsonic VA2448-LED LED (Backlit) Monitor, 1920x1080, 5ms, 300cd/m?, 10000000:1, Black, Full HD   
 Keyboard   Logitech K120 Keyboard Slim with Full Keys - Spill Resistant - (USB)   
 Free Gift   FREE - Bluetooth USB Dongle - 150 M   
 Monitor Cables & Adapters   FREE - DVI Port to HDMI Monitor Port Adapter

Vidam

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 09:12:08 pm »
Very nice! Where are you ordering this from?

Might be worth having a look on Overclockers they usually do some good deals.. Also you mentioned the price tag of the i7, make sure if you're buying it you're going to utilize it, if not downgrade to the i5, in the majority of computers it will still be too powerful for it's use, unless you plan on doing HD video editing where it may well be utilized :P

I was surprised to see a 7200rpm HDD if i'm honest and not an SSD too! Such a high spec machine it deserves a SSD. Quite pricey but damn they are quick! Failing that could always go for a Seagate 15000rpm Harddrive, would be slightly slower than SSD but twice as quick as the standard!!

Stevo127

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 09:46:50 pm »
I agree with Vidam, you don't need an i7, an i5 would do a more than perfect job :P
And wow on the price, where did you pull that from?!

Offline Enigma

• Chairman Of The Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 10:13:27 pm »
Trust me, I spent months searching on every site possible. That is the cheapest price, with the most options and free gifts. Also a pretty good Support System.
computerplanet.co.uk

Yeah Vidam, I was getting an SSD Card, mainly to run Windows off, but I really had to get the price down as much as possible.

Obviously, with any purchase such as this, some features will go unused, but I may look into some of them more unknown features of the CPU. Or you could inform me!  ;D

Offline RoboCop

• Bone County Sheriff-Coroner
  • Head Of Security
  • Bone County Emergency Services Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 11:13:46 pm »
SSDs are bullshit expensive, even for a low-cap one. :X I just stick to traditional 7200 RPM mechanical drives.

Vidam

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2012, 11:40:03 pm »
Trust me, I spent months searching on every site possible. That is the cheapest price, with the most options and free gifts. Also a pretty good Support System.
computerplanet.co.uk

Yeah Vidam, I was getting an SSD Card, mainly to run Windows off, but I really had to get the price down as much as possible.

Obviously, with any purchase such as this, some features will go unused, but I may look into some of them more unknown features of the CPU. Or you could inform me!  ;D

Which features in particular are unknown to you? :P

One of the main ones people don't understand is 'Hyper-threading'. First thing i'm going to say is; essentially, completely useless from a gamers point of view. Another reason to get the i5 :p

A common misconception about 'Hyper-threading' is that is doubles the amount of 'cores' on the processor, whilst it may be accurate in a sense, it's not a good way to understand and think of 'Hyper-threading'.

So, what actually is 'Hyper-threading' and what are the benefits?
'Hyper-threading' is the ability for each processor core to 'schedule' and assign resources to two threads at the same time, multi-tasking in other words.

Benefits of 'Hyper-threading'?
Well let's be honest, it's only going to give you a performance boost of about 30% in cases of HEAVY PROCESSOR UTILISATION. 3D gaming, scientific encoding, heavy video/audio editing etc.. In the rest of cases e.g. Web browsing, standard gaming, 'loose' Photoshopping will not gain any performance by having 'Hyper-threading' available. Generally, in today's processing market we have the speed and capacity to do alot more and alot faster than 2-3 years ago.

With the advent of the new processing standards set by Intel with the i3,i5,i7 range home computing has become a very efficient task. My statements in mind, 'Hyper-threading' is a cool and very advanced technology that is worth having in a professional environment, but in this particular case, I don't feel it would be justified.

So, what's the end point?

Today's processors are fast enough to seamlessly multi-task for most home users and gamers, very rarely are basic programs on a PC limited by the speed of your PC in our current technology state.
My opinion? Don't get 'Hyper-threading'.