April 26, 2024, 09:31:46 pm

Author Topic: EGC's State Of Address  (Read 6918 times)

Offline Enigma

• Chairman Of The Board
    • View Profile
EGC's State Of Address
« on: March 05, 2013, 08:22:40 pm »
I felt like updating the community on our current plans going ahead. I will address several aspects of EGC as a whole.

My activity:
Recently I haven't been on as much as I was, however simply being here for less than 3/4 of the day would of achieved that due to the intense amount of hours I've been working on improving the community as a whole in the last 3 Months. The recent decline is due to a job I've attained for an accounting firm, this is only a Three week contract and I have no desire to work for such a large corporation, let alone an Accounting one. Therefor I plan on leaving after the Three weeks and refusing the renewal I expect them to offer. So in essence, don't worry, I shall be back in full swing soon. Which will give me enough time to work on the following.

ECNR:
We've been at 1.4b for a lot longer than I expected. You have a mixture of me being unexpectedly hired and Mr Watako to blame. Also the more positive reason for the delay is the fact a lot more work has gone into it than it expected, don't get me wrong it's nothing huge, but it's plenty for an update which isn't a full version upgrade. It's filled with bug fixes. Also some new features that I believe some people will like.
I'm hoping there will be no 1.4d, this is dependent on whether severe bugs occur and how well the ECNR store does between the release of 'c' and the possible 'd' version.

If a 1.4d is not neccesary, then we are free to move forward to the what I expected to be quite large 1.5. I plan on making 1.5 the largest update ECNR has seen to date. With a melody of new, large features and hopefully tying up all the loose ends of bugs we've had. With massive optimizations to top it off. I also want to give it a "New feel", maybe change some things around, more an appearance make over than anything else. Don't misunderstand that, I don't mean it will be more of an appearance change than new features, I just mean I'm hoping to give 1.5 it all, considering it's half way through the series and should be the largest update until 2.0. Mr Wataki will hopefully be adding his "Watako Affect" AKA, some pretty epic, advanced addition(s) which he has become known for.  Hopefully we won't need a 1.5b but if bugs occur, we've no choice. Once 1.5 and the potential 1.5b is released that frees me up to work on further projects for a while such as...

FGRPG:
I can assume many of you have become inpatient regarding the release of FGRPG, as have I. This is not Mr Watako's fault as I always have him running around doing things for ECNR which I haven't got time to.

Plans for FGRPG have changed quite a number of times recently, but it appears that we're now going with the original idea, a light role play Cops & Robbers server based in San Fierro. Of course this will not have even close to the features that ECNR will at the beginning, but we will be borrowing some from it. As of speaking, it's pretty much a basic script with minimal features. This should be changing soon. FGRPG's 1.0 version will be fairly basic. At this point we just want to get it released to give you guys something brand new. This by no means suggests we just want to put it out if it isn't up to standard and does not mean we will not be working heavily on adding to it's features.

I will be more heavily involved in FGRPG than we had originally thought, WatakiWatako will still be managing for the main part, but we will run it together more than once believed. This is more so that the community(s) don't have tension between them. "Byrner is better at running things!" "No, Wataki is!". Myself and Mr Watako have no desire to outdo eachother and we work very well together as a team, as you've all seen. So we will work on FGRPG together in a similar fashion to how we do ECNR.

The expected timeline for the first release of FGRPG is expected to be around a month after the release of 1.5. Don't quote me on this, but I'm hoping to have ECNR's 1.5 and FGRPG's 1.0 released by May. This is me just thinking now, but how amazing would it be if we could get it released on EGC's One Year anniversary that is coming up? Would be so fitting. I digress....Yeah, don't give up hope on FGRPG, I know we've let you believe it's a dead idea for a long time now, but we left the forum table available for a reason...it's still very much in our plans.

EGCM:
Mr Watako is the one giving the review here:
The player count isn't exactly stable. Fair enough, we've had upwards of 7 players at times but even then, we've got 32 slots to fill. Furthermore, should we reach the maximum capacity, we are able to expand. As of current, the server seems to sit empty most of the time with the exception of the weekends when we generally have a few players.

Since the servers listing was published, we have had a steady supply of new players, even when the server's empty. The problem is, they don't stick around. Why? Simple, an empty server is not attractive. This is multiplayer Minecraft, after all!

So. Let's make EGCM a successful Tekkit server.

I've recently made some significant improvements, to highlight some:
?Thanks to Lockette and the newly installed protection plugin, griefing is virtually impossible.
?The anti-cheat and administration tools have been vastly improved.
?World Anchors have been removed.
?Disabled the Tank Carts to prevent a nasty duplication glitch.
?Adjusted the Dynamic Map settings to reclaim some resources, you won't notice the difference.

World Anchor Removal
Unfortunately, the world anchors were having a massive impact upon the CPU usage of EGCM. Since they effectively simulate a player standing in the position at which the world anchor is placed, therefore keeping the surrounding chunk in the memory, we were practically seeing the CPU usage I'd expect with at least 40 players online while in all actuality, the server was empty. This isn't exactly helped by the fact that world anchors are almost always placed near complicated machinery and redstone circuits. The worst of which being timers!

Just to emphasise this, since disabling the world anchors, the server's tick rate has improved dramatically. You will notice that redstone timers actually tick every second, mobs move more fluently, lava actually flows and so on. It feels more like single player now.

Anyhow. Since they're now disabled, we are likely to notice a performance increase on ECNR, as well as EGCM.

That's all the doom and gloom out of the way. Looking to the future, you guys basically need to play more. All the server needs is a shove in the right direction, welcome the new players warmly and we'll soon be a major player in the Minecraft/Tekkit hosting world.

Happy crafting!

Radio:
Many of you have been dying for us to incorporate an EGC Radio to our arsenal, I do plan on doing so at some point, you'll all be happy to hear. The sole reason we haven't got one as we speak, is the low number of players that I believe would use it. I think we need a slightly larger community and more open interest in the radio. Put it this way, protest for it, you will get it!
When we do eventually get the station, I plan on having a large input in it, more than likely Chito will be running it, but he will have me in his ear quite often. We will host interviews, talk shows, open mic sessions, music broadcasts, skit shows, the works. Even educational broadcasts, myself and Hiredgun have been discussing doing one of them for months.

Our financial situation:
The ECNR has been absolutely booming the last few months, so many players looking for such large features, I've almost found it hard to keep up with the demand, haha!
Your contributions to EGC's future are greatly appreciated, especially during this personal financial slum I'm in, it really couldn't of come at a better time...I lose my job and everyone starts using the store! Without you, I'm not too sure we would of made it through the last few months.
It's almost at a point where we could afford to upgrade to a new and better Virtual Private Server. However the great risk in this is if the store starts doing poorly, I have no way of keeping up with the massive bills we currently have, let alone increasing them.
The current VPS is actually quite good, it just limits us from expanding too much, I'm afraid of what CPU & RAM usage we'll be at once FGRPG and the radio is online. We can thank EGCM for eating up most of our resources!

Future EGC Games:
To be honest, currently I have no games in mind to incorporate into EGC in the foreseeable future. If you've read the rest of this post, you know how many things we currently plan on doing, so I haven't exactly had time to think of other games to bring on board, let alone work on them. This does not mean I don't plan on expanding in the future, I'm simply letting you know our plans for the next Six months or so, which are pretty amazing even without the addition of a new game. We have a board on the EGC forum to suggest games for a reason, feel free to discuss anything you'd like to see us Sponsor.

The Community:
Last but certainly not least. I have an extreme attachment to this community, more so than I ever had with my previous community. Don't get me wrong, before my last places masses were brainwashed, I did love it there. Some of them thought they'd be better without me...we all know the condition they are in now. This lovely community on the other hand, for once I'm lost for words. You lovely people have never doubted me for a second, have been there to talk to me anytime you'd notice I'm not myself. I have become friends with so many people here it's unreal. Even people that were members of my former community that I never got a chance to speak to, I've become quite close with them. Places might insult EGC, they may say whatever they like about EGC. Even Stevie Wonder can see that it's pure and utter jealousy. They are simply unable to comprehend the family atmosphere we have here. We don't argue, we don't bully, we don't insult. This is not out of fear of being banned, it's not out of anything other than we see how immature and pointless it is. We all get along, we all enjoy eachothers company. That is what a community is supposed to be. It's not me that built the community we have today, it was all of you. You people came here and showed me just how a community is supposed to work. I had given up hope, I thought the people will decency within them no longer existed. I am so happy to say I was wrong about that. I look forward to coming here every day, to code, to play, to talk to you fine people. I thank you people for choosing EGC as your home and I will do everything I can to ensure you want it to remain that way. Thank every single one of you.

That is the Enigmatic Gaming Community state of affairs as of 05/03/2013. Now we all know where we stand.  :)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 08:26:48 pm by WatakiWatako »

Offline Kongregate

• EGCM Administration
  • Revenge is a dish best served cold
    • View Profile
Re: EGC's State Of Address
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 09:31:27 pm »
Seems good :)

Offline Chito

• ECNR Administration
    • View Profile
    • ChitoBeatz
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 11:29:28 pm »
Im ecstatic to see whats to come, maybe A Dueling GTA Server? since hired gun and saint are both active in that kind of gameplay im sure they can conjure up activity there.

The radio will need a lot of attention and im sure it will take away from my gaming time, but im down to take that position B.

Given the amount of time vs the amount of growth EGC has had im proud to say that i respect the admin team and scripters. Theres always room for more growth ;)

Offline Littleman

• Elite Member
  • A life that touches others goes on forever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 01:00:33 pm »
Cant wait for it! Keep up the good work!
 ~ps Will my 5k score transfer to that server? lol
Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted.
Matthew 5:4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9cq2utk2JU

Offline Enigma

• Chairman Of The Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 01:38:17 pm »
Nah mate, with a new server, will come new stats.  :)

Offline Sylar

• Gray Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 06:30:36 am »
EGC is the kind of community I've always wanted it to be, the kind I couldn't stop talking about making it. In fact, Enigma and I'd talk about the exact same thing back when I joined here. It's a family here! Sadly, I've not had time to be with you guys like I used to, but that will change. I miss living here.
 Doesn't mean I don't feel the love when I'm around.
 ;) Haha.

EGC'll reach the skies. :)

Offline Saw

• Bone County Fire Department
  • Bone County Fire Department
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 07:19:09 am »
I always love being here, from when I started it was a new beginning. It was a fresh start new beginning for me, a start of a great family. I am very impressed on how far EGC has come. We have made so much progress and our family just keeps growing and growing. I hope that this family we stick together for a very long time. I really enjoy being here, from the players to playing the server. I really can't wait for 1.5 to come out and I really cant wait for FGRPG to be released. I know WatakiWatako and Enigma have been working as hard as they can to make this a great community for us, and they plan to keep doing just that. Sylar has also worked very hard working on Rebel he has worked hard on it and plan to work even more with Rebel when he returns (I'm sure). I know how hard everyone has worked to make it a great family, but it was also us, We have been a mature family, not being immature and acting like a children. I hope to keep this community going and hope to see it grow as big as we can get it! :D

Thank you Enigma for making this community and for everything you have done and what you will be doing for this community.

Offline Enigma

• Chairman Of The Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 01:07:13 pm »
Awh lads ya got me all emotional! I too love being here, it's such a fantastic atmosphere. I hope you all continue to give me the pleasure of working for you.

Crow

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 08:19:42 pm »
Shut up,  Byrner xD You know jsut as well as anyone that regardless of your activity those of us who truly know you will stick by you and stand strong in this community, not as just gamers, or even friends, but as a unified family. Some servers are ruled by admins, but here it's the community as a whole that's ruled, as suggestions and advice come from even the newest players. Admins are simply here to ensure everything goes smooth, not control everything. That's what it means to be a part of this community. True unity without corruption.
With that said, It's my pleasure and honor to serve and play here with all you dumbass niggas out there. Seriously. From coming on IRC and being bombarded with racial slurs to going ingame and hosting crazy bus rides at about 400mph in the air, this server is more of a home then any I've ever experienced. I look forward to working and playing here, and I'm glad to see we're still going on strong. Let them talk shit, bitch, and moan on us all they want. It won't shatter our family. We're no backstabbers, loyal to the end, and no amount of "We're better then you" or "Lol I hack you" will change that. We have true unity and loyalty. We know our roots, and we won't betray them. FOR NARNIA!

Offline Sylar

• Gray Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 01:36:21 am »
FOR EGC*!

Offline Enigma

• Chairman Of The Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2013, 01:05:50 pm »
Once a Black male gives this community approval.....it's time to shut down...sorry lads. Blame Crow. Haha, we all appreciate your true and kind words, Crowster.  :)