April 26, 2024, 01:06:14 am

Author Topic: English and Cultural Ignorance (In my opinion)  (Read 2492 times)

Offline Viper

• FGRPG Manager
    • View Profile
English and Cultural Ignorance (In my opinion)
« on: November 14, 2013, 02:14:51 pm »
Just my 2 cents into this situation but I am getting more befuddled, confused and angry to zero tolerances on other languages and rather than sat complaining about, ill make a post to get a general wide opinion on it.

In a world such as today, with multiple languages and the fact SA-MP languages are very various with many people having other primary languages and not knowing a great amount of English, it seems foolish and ignorant to come down harsh on people talking to other people in a different language.

This is doubly strange that if people of 2 or more are in the server all talking a different language, an admin still comes up to force them to talk English or shut up despite no English talkers in the server.

Triply strange (If thats a word) that they are forced to speak English to explain themselves if they break a rule when they clearly don't have a clue what they are saying. Nobody even thinks about Google translator (Apart from me), a very popular, efficient translation program that the people at Google worked their arses off to make.

Im trying not to rant here, it's something that bugs me and I wanted to see other people's opinions.

Offline Varun

• View Profile
Re: English and Cultural Ignorance (In my opinion)
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 02:52:01 pm »
Not just 2 cents, It's a dollar though.

I'm a part and equal guilty of these type of acts like everyone else. Viper got a point here, We must change the way we handle these players, We must try to make these players understand us instead of muting or kicking them.

Moved to right section

Offline Enigma

• Chairman Of The Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 10:01:38 pm »
He's been on at me about this for ages lol.

I agree, I will possibly add some system to 1.7 where players can enter a certain chat in another language. Open to suggestions on that One!

In regards to now, as Viper recommended, use Google Translator to decipher what their saying and attempt to communicate back. (Admins)

Offline Aaron_Ewing

• ECNR Administration
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 09:12:39 am »
I agree with the idea, But With Google Translate it will decipher any language, But to write something new from say English to Russian, It will look alright in the google translate box and what not, I would copy and paste it in either IRC or ingame and it will come out with some weird crap, By not looking like what it said in google translate, would show like a bunch of crap mixed in with Question Marks. But if a system of choosing a preferred language is at all possible, Then it's got my vote to put it into play.

Also idk if anyone would remember sometime back when we all were back at you know where, I made a post about language conversion.

my idea was have a system put in to where any language spoken can be turned into English for the english speaking, And English spoken words will automatically be translated into everyone set preferred native language, Again idk if anyone remembers that, But I sure do as if I just suggested yesterday, Pretty much what Byrner said is basically what I said originally.

(02:05:15) <%ECNR1>  Aaron_Ewing (2) - I feel it in my nut sack that I will win
(02:07:09) <%ECNR2> Today's winner is Aaron_Ewing (2), who has recieved today's

Offline Tay_Zonday

• Plays DotA 2, CS 1.6 ,SAMP and few new games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 03:25:13 pm »
I agree with the idea, But With Google Translate it will decipher any language, But to write something new from say English to Russian, It will look alright in the google translate box and what not, I would copy and paste it in either IRC or ingame and it will come out with some weird crap, By not looking like what it said in google translate, would show like a bunch of crap mixed in with Question Marks. But if a system of choosing a preferred language is at all possible, Then it's got my vote to put it into play.

Also idk if anyone would remember sometime back when we all were back at you know where, I made a post about language conversion.

my idea was have a system put in to where any language spoken can be turned into English for the english speaking, And English spoken words will automatically be translated into everyone set preferred native language, Again idk if anyone remembers that, But I sure do as if I just suggested yesterday, Pretty much what Byrner said is basically what I said originally.

That's because you don't have Cyrillic characters enabled. I'll link the guide that I used, but rest assured it looks proper to others when they see it from their system.

Also +1 to Viper.
Every rule there is has an exception.

Except this one.

Offline Littleman

• Elite Member
  • A life that touches others goes on forever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 08:53:45 pm »
Agree :D
Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted.
Matthew 5:4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9cq2utk2JU

Offline joaofcmb

• Bone County Sheriff's Department
  • Sergeant of the BCSD
    • View Profile
    • Good ol' days :)
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2013, 11:17:21 am »
Viper has a point here. We definitly got to change this. I cant stop seeign people wanting to have fun but cant because they dont speak english :( 1+ rep for viper
Regular ECNR player and Bone County's Sheriff's Department Sergeant